Wednesday, August 3, 2011

What to Pray For

     I want to lead a Christian life and do God's will. Recently when I pray, I ask God for four things for myself: 1) to help me grow in my relationship with Him, 2) to help me be the witness He wants me to be, 3) to fill me with the joy of the Holy Spirit, 4) to continue to have the peace of Christ to rule in my heart.
     Romans 4:13, 5:11, 5:18, Luke 21:12, and Psalm 24:5 in the New Living Bible translation talk about a relationship with God. We can do this through Jesus Christ our Lord, God, and Savior. He died on the cross so our sins can be forgiven. Our God is an awesome God, why wouldn't you want to get to know Him more and more?
     In Mark 16:5 Jesus states, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel to every creature" (King James Version). The best way is living the example. A couple of people I used to work with assumed I was a Christian. Even though I was, am, and always will be, I really didn't talk about Jesus much at work then, so I asked them how they knew I was a Christian and they told me that the was because it was the way I acted. That was a feeling in it of itself. I want to lead a Christian life so that I am spreading the Good News about Jesus Christ in my actions as well as my words.
     Being full of the joy of the Holy Spirit is a feeling that is indescribable. I really don't know how to describe the feeling exactly because it such an awesome, wonderful feeling. It is truly the greatest feeling I have ever felt. Sometimes when I study the bible and I feel When Jesus opens my mind and shows me things in His Word I get full of the joy of the Holy Spirit and get all excited just want to bounce around the room and sing praises. Granted, that doesn't happen every time I study the bible, but it does happen every now and again. Other times when I am listening to Christian music or Gospel music the same feeling comes over me. This happens more often for me. One song that makes me feel close to Jesus is by Phillips, Craig and Dean. The song is called "Pour My Love on You." If you have some time listen to it on YouTube.com. I can get full of the joy of the Holy Spirit just in the car driving or sitting doing nothing. Sometimes I just start talking and Jesus gives me words of praise or words that cause me to preach to myself. A friend of mine and I get together just to share our experiences with our Lord every now and then. One night we went and ate dinner and he told me sometimes when he prays he feels so close to God that he starts shaking just from the awesome feeling that enters him. He also described it as a feeling like no other and as one that could hardly be contained.
     I bumped into Colossians 3:15 which reads "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts" (New International Version [NIV]). In the New Living Translation Colossians 3:15 reads, "And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts." I read this some time ago and I prayed and asked God to help me let the peace of Christ rule in my heart. It did take some time but one day it hit me that I had in fact received it. I used to fly off the handle and get mad over the stupidest things, and one day I was sick and many things went wrong and I got some phone calls to see if I was okay and then it hit me. Even though I was under the weather and had multiple things go wrong that day, none of it bothered or phased me. I knew it was the grace of God. If I didn't have Christ's peace ruling in my heart I would have acted/reacted much differently. If you want to know the details of this day check out my other blog, Perfect Fix in the near future. I thank God that I have the peace of Christ ruling in my heart now and when I pray I ask our Father in heaven to help me to continue to have the peace of Christ rule in my heart.
     Now all glory to our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to Christ Jesus forever! Amen. (Ephesians 3:20-21 [New Century Version])

No comments:

Post a Comment