Monday, October 19, 2009

Why Should I read the Bible? Is the Bible the Absolute Truth?

The last two questions posed link to each other so I combined the answers. By reading the Bible you can get to know God. Specifically reading the New Testament and the Gospels you can get to know Jesus Christ. You can see how awesome our God is. One thing I keep putting in posts which applies here, too, is get to know Jesus. Get a personal relationship with Him. He is our Lord God and Savior. He is King of kings, Lord of lords, Name above all names. He loves each and every one of us unconditionally.

Another reason to read the Bible is read James 1:22, “but be ye doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.” How can you be a doer of the Word if you don’t know what the Word says. We need to read the Bible to know what the Word says in order to be a doer. A hearer of the Word can be seen in two kinds of people. There may be more, but I will only get into two. One kind are those who read the Bible and don’t do (live) what it says. Literally hearing it from a pastor, a parent, a relative, a friend, or God telling you Himself in some way is the other kind of a hearer I was referring to. Either way, being a doer is being obedient to God’s Word, just hearing or reading it is being a hearer only.

What does that mean, “deceiving yourself?”

Someone who lies all the time tells another person who lied to them one time that lying is against the Bible. Obviously both of them are in the wrong, but the one who constantly lies is obviously a hearer only because he knows lying is wrong, but yet does it and tells others not to. He is deceiving himself. If you constantly do something wrong that you know is wrong you are being a hearer only and deceiving yourself.

Is there anything else I need to know?

Yes. The Bible says in Matthew 24:4, “Be careful that no one misleads you [deceiving you and leading you in error].” Jesus warns all of us not to be deceived. Jesus goes further into the chapter telling us that many will come claiming to be Him and not to be deceived. If you read the Bible you will get to know God’s Word and you should not be deceived. Jesus continues in Matthew 24:24, “for false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect – if that were possible.” If you know God’s Word then you are less likely to be deceived.

         Just because you read the Bible one time doesn’t mean that you know everything there is to know.  The Bible is a living word.  Every time you read it God may reveal something new to you.  I know this is true because I have and still do experience it.  Before I read the Bible I pray the following prayer:
           Dear Father I pray in the Name of Jesus, please help me to understand, retain, live, and comprehend what I will read in this Bible now.  Thank you Lord.  Your will be done.  In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.”

Is the Bible the absolute truth?

           This is one of those black or white issues.  It either is the absolute truth or it isn’t at all.  Why would God only put some truth in the Bible?  That doesn’t make sense.  You must decide if you believe it is or it isn’t the absolute truth.  I believe that everything in the Bible is true.  So my answer is ABSOLUTELY!  Thank you Jesus!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great post! The Bible is the ABSOLUTE TRUTH!Check out my blog:
    http://boughtbytheblood.blogspot.com/2009/11/love.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! The Bible is not only the TRUTH but the key to truly living life.
    Please check out my blog:
    www.searching2find.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete